Keith A. Wood Printer-Friendly
Keith Wood is both an attorney and CPA with a special background in taxes. He also is a board-certified specialist in estate planning and probate law.
Keith’s practice is focused on business, tax and estates planning for a wide range of clients, including new startups, entrepreneurs and multigenerational family-owned businesses. He counsels these closely held enterprises in the unique challenges they face – from succession planning, tax planning and management structures to effective compensation strategies.
Keith frequently speaks to groups on tax and business succession topics and has been honored by the North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants with multiple “Outstanding Speaker” awards.
- Helped the U.S. subsidiary of a multinational company implement and refinance a $100 million international line of credit.
- Represented a multistate healthcare business as it sold its operations to a national healthcare conglomerate in a tax advantaged manner.
- Helped a local food distributor secure a $15 million nonrecourse dividend recapitalization loan and a $10 million nonrecourse line of credit.
- Successfully structured and negotiated a series of related business acquisitions for a multistate distribution firm.
- Assisted several family businesses in transitioning ownership to successive generations in a way that minimized taxes.
- Successfully represented both businesses and individuals in federal and state tax audits and in appeals involving a wide range of issues – from reasonable compensation, sales tax matters and hobby losses to penalty abatements and passive vs. active loss analysis.
Bar and Court Admissions
- North Carolina, 1991
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Certified Public Accountant
- Board Certified Specialist, Estate Planning and Probate Law
- American Institute of CPAs
- North Carolina Association of CPAs (NCACPA), Former Board Member
- North Carolina Association of CPAs (NCACPA), 2013 NCACPA Annual Symposium Chair
Awards and Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America, 2008-2016
- Business North Carolina: Legal Elite, 2004-2015
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, 2006-2015
- NCACPA Outstanding Discussion Leader Award, 2003
- NCACPA Outstanding Conference Speaker Award, 2004, 2007, 2010
- North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation: Business Manager, 1991
- Thirteen Carruthers & Roth, P.A. Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers® in America List; Real Estate Attorney Named “Lawyer of the Year”
- Carruthers & Roth Attorneys Named to 2015 N.C. Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Lists
- Seven Carruthers & Roth Attorneys Recognized in Business North Carolina’s 2015 “Legal Elite”
- View More News
- North Carolina Court of Appeals Affirms How Change of Domicile Saves North Carolina Income Taxes
- Captive Insurance Companies - If You Haven't Heard About Them Yet, You Will Soon
- North Carolina Court Rules That North Carolina Fiduciary Income Tax Law Is Unconstitutional – at Least as It Relates to Some Out-of-State Trusts
- View More Articles